Category: Operating Divisions

Division 1 (Central City)

Division 1 is the the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority‘s oldest operating division. It was originally opened by predecessor company, the Los Angeles Railway, on November 7, 1899 at 648 South Central Avenue. It still exists at this location although the address has…

Division 10 (Gateway)

Various locations have been labeled Division 10 over the years. Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority took over operations from Metropolitan Coach Lines. The Metropolitan Coach Lines, which owned Asbury Rapid Transit System facilities in Glendale, were called Division 10. They…

Division 11 (Blue Line)

Originally, the Sixth and Main Street Station was the Administrative Office controlling Pacific Electric Railway passenger service terminals such as Los Angeles, South Alhambra, El Monte, Pomona, Riverside, San Bernardino, Whittier, Fullerton, Santa Ana, Long Beach, Newport Beach, Montrose and…

Division 12 (Long Beach)

The Pacific Electric Railway owned two rail yards in Long Beach as part of its Southern Division, the Fairbanks Yard for maintenance work and the Morgan Yard at the end of the line. The Long Beach line was the second…

Division 14 (South Park Shops)

Metro’s South Park Shops date back to 1906. The facility was built by Los Angeles Railway and has served its successors (Los Angeles Transit Lines, Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority, Southern California Rapid Transit District and Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation…

Division 15 (East Valley)

Division 15 was opened on Penrose & Tujunga Streets (11409 Penrose St.) in Sun Valley on December 22, 1974. Construction began on a new site, at Glenoaks and Branford, in Sun Valley, in 1981. The new site of Division 15…

Division 16 (Pomona)

Division 16 in Pomona was opened March 20, 1983 by the Southern California Rapid Transit District. It was closed by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority on June 26, 1994.

Division 18 (South Bay)

The original location of Division 18 (Carson) was at 190th Street on the west side of the Harbor (I-110) Freeway. It opened January 19, 1975. The second location of Division 18 is on the east side of the Harbor Freeway…

Division 2 (Crossroads Depot)

Construction began on old Division 2 in August, 1903 and was officially opened as a Rail Division by Los Angeles Railway on February 1, 1904 at 53rd Street and South Park Avenue (later is now Avalon Blvd.) Division 2 was…

Division 3 (North Los Angeles, Cypress Park)

Division 3 in north Los Angeles’ Cypress Park neighborhood has been in continuous service to transit riders since its opening day in 1907. After Henry E. Huntington’s purchase of 27 acres in the surrounding area, Los Angeles Railway developed 8.7…