Division 6 (Venice)

Division 6 was formerly property of the Pacific Electric Railway, known as Ocean Park Car House, and located at Sunset Avenue in Venice.

It was built, along with an electrical substation, by Pacific Electric predecessor Los Angeles Pacific in 1901.

From 1930 until October 1953, all outside (west side) terminals were controlled by the Transportation Department Administrative Offices at the Subway Terminal Building on Hill Street.

In 1945, this location had approximately 32 rail cars, 35 motor coaches and 120 operators assigned.

On September 17, 1950 rail service was discontinued from this location, and the old carhouse was razed to convert the property into a bus division.

Construction began on a new bus division (operations and garage) on November 8, 1950.

Total cost of the new facility was $315,000, of which $16,250 was for an automatic bus washer. There was an open house at the newly opened facility on August 29, 1951.

The now-unused electrical substation was torn down in 1954.

Pacific Electric Railway Company’s passenger service was sold to Metropolitan Coach lines on October 1, 1953, and the Ocean Park facility continued to be used by the new company. When Metropolitan Coach Lines was sold to the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Agency (LAMTA) on March 3, 1958, it became Division 6-Ocean Park (later changed to Venice).

There were various upgrades to the Division from 1958 to date by owners LAMTA, Southern California Rapid Transit District and Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

There was another facility beside the Ocean Park Car House with a yard on Ashland Street, north of Kinney Avenue, between the Trolleyway (now Neilson Way) and Main Street.

It was used to store Pacific Electric buses (probably the Brentwood line) and the Los Angeles Motor Coach Co. line to Santa Monica.

There was a building at 174 Kinney Ave, Ocean Park, just inside the Santa Monica city limits that still existed in 2001.

The other end of the building was on Pier Ave, which might have been the Ocean Park station for Pacific Electric service. The original Kinney Avenue street name is for Abbot Kinney, the visionary who founded Venice as a resort. Just south in Venice there is an Abbot Kinney Blvd (formerly Washington Blvd.).

The Venice Short Line buses operated out of this facility from 1950 to 1951.In 1959, Division 6 operated 3,451,783 service miles and had 85 coaches with 150 operators assigned. The Division celebrated its 100th year of transit service in 2001 with 68 buses serving five lines.

Presently, 78 diesel buses operate out of this 3.13 acre facility. It is proposed to move the division to a 4.66 acre site on Jefferson Boulevard between Rodeo and National, once home to Carnation Creamery and Sparkletts Water. The new facility will accommodate up to 175 CNG buses with 53,000 sq. ft. maintenance building that includes 14 high bays. Grounds will also include up to 240 employee parking spaces, bus wash, chassis wash, fuelling, facilities maintenance and recycling areas.