1940: The Cahuenga Pass Freeway opens to public traffic.
Los Angeles Mayor Fletcher Bowron is joined by California Governor Culbert L. Olson and Public Works Administration Regional Director K.A. Godwin in dedicating “the first unit of one of the most beneficial highway projects ever undertaken in the Los Angeles metropolitan area.” The ceremonies also included other local officials, Honorary Mayor of North Hollywood Gene Autry, and State Highway Commissioner Amerigo Bozzani.
The project, utilizing four twelve-foot traffic lanes are constructed in each direction, eliminates a “bottleneck” of congestion that had existed for three decades. The San Fernando Valley line of the Pacific Electric Railway is relocated to serve as the central dividing strip between opposing lanes of vehicular traffic.
The dedication ceremonies are followed by a luncheon at the Hollywood Bowl.
More information on the project can be found in the July, 1940 issue of California Highways and Public Works.