1955: Los Angeles’ first subway tunnel closes after nearly 30 years of service.
The one-mile tunnel linking Glendale and Sunset Boulevards to the Subway Terminal Building downtown had been opened by Pacific Electric Railway after 10 years of planning and another year of construction on November 25, 1925.
Less than two years prior to closing, Pacific Electric’s passenger operations had been acquired by Metropolitan Coach Lines.
Later, proposals would be made to use the tunnel for a downtown people mover system linked to park and ride lots, but it is later rendered unusable for transit purposes when high-rise building foundations severed the tunnel.
It is also later used by the Federal government to house civil defense supplies.
Numerous images of the Pacific Electric subway tunnel can be found here.