October 12: This Date in Los Angeles Transportation History

Pacific Electric combination passenger/baggage car at Catalina Island Steamer Terminal, ca. 1945 (Click to enlarge)

1958:  The last day of operations for Pacific Electric‘s Catalina Dock Line.

This line entered passenger service in March, 1920 when the new Catalina Dock opened.

It ran continuously (except during World War II when the island was closed) during the busy summer season.

While more than 115,000 passengers traveled the line in 1950, the number dropped to just over 41,000 by 1956.

 

2000:  Metro begins operating the western portion of Line 30 from Pico/San Vicente along Pico Boulevard to 7th and Alvarado.

Metro bus Line 214 is one of four pilot lines approved by the LACMTA Board in June as part of the federal Consent Decree aimed at improving service. Line 214 is operated by Coach USA under contract with Metro.

Line 214 is now operating between Rosecrans Avenue and the Artesia/Harbor Transitway station via Broadway and Main Street. The new line operates seven days a week from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m., initially running every 15 minutes in the morning and afternoon peak periods and every 30 minutes midday.

More information can be found in the October 10, 2000 issue of MyMetro employee news publication.