The Los Angeles basin’s interurban system, which once had over 1,100 miles of rail passenger service. Built mainly by Henry E. HUntington, who began it in 1901. The “Red Car” system was a subsidary of Southern Pacific Railway after 1911, when SP bought out Huntington’s financial interest. Many of the rail lines were converted to bus operation by the early 1950s and the PE’s passenger system was sold to a new company, Metropolitan Coach Lines, in 1953. MCL sold to the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority (the first MTA) in 1958. Pacific Electric continued as a railroad freight-only company unit until it was absorbed into parent Southern Pacific in 1965.