1873: David V. Waldron applies for a franchise to build a rail line from Main and Alameda Streets south on Main to Washington Street — the first real effort to furnish rail transport to Los Angeles.
The franchise is never used.
1950: The final run for the Pacific Electric Railway‘s Santa Ana line.
The line’s history dated back to 1903 but was completed and open for service on November 6, 1905.
The Santa Ana Line diverged from the Long Beach Line at Watts and proceeded 26.5 miles southeast to Fourth Street in Santa Ana.
Most service terminated at the Pacific Electric station there, but some continued another 2/3 mile eastward to the Southern Pacific Station.
Its peak year of service was 1945 with over 2.4 million passenger boardings.
Southern California Rapid Transit District allocated a maximum of one-half of one percent of station structure cost to go toward public art.
More information can be found in the June, 1984 issue of the Metro Rail News employee news magazine.