1953: Pacific Electric Railway operates a caravan of ten new TDH-4801 motor coaches over the Cahuenga Pass to the San Fernando Valley to replace streetcar service.
They were meant to be in operation in December, 1952 when Pacific Electric abandoned the San Fernando Valley streetcar line, but production delays at GM production facility prevents that from happening.
At the time, Pacific Electric Passenger Traffic Manager H.O. Marler explains that the “air ride era” has arrived, and that the new coaches “herald an entirely new era in transit riding comfort.”
More information can be found in the June, 1953 issue of Pacific Electric Magazine.