1941: The Redondo Bath House, originally built in 1908 by the Redondo Land and Water Company, a subsidiary of the Los Angeles & Redondo Railway, closes.
When “The Great Merger” of 1911 consolidated electric railway interurban systems of Southern California, the waterfront at Redondo Beach came into the possession of the Pacific Electric Railway, and the bath house along with it.
The Redondo Bath House was one of several “municipal plunges” promoting swimming and other recreational activities.
More information can be found in the October, 1941 issue of Pacific Electric Magazine.
It is purchased as part of Metro Rail’s original alignment along Wilshire Boulevard west to Fairfax Avenue.
After the Metro Rail subway alignment was changed due to the methane gas incident, the building opened as a Metro Customer Service Center and Lost and Found department.
The Wilshire / LaBrea property awaits the eventual continuation development of the “Westside Subway Extension” — a Wilshire Boulevard subway connecting Downtown to UCLA and Westwood.
The building was originially designed by famous Los Angeles architect Welton Becket and opened in 1949 as Tilford’s Restaurant and Lounge. Welton Becket is best known for designing the LAX Theme Restaurant, the Capitol Records Building, Parker Center and notable landmark buildings.